Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Mackerel Sky

@elf 2010

 
About a year ago I was driving to work and I saw these strange formations in the sky. The clouds looked like many cotton balls sitting next to each other (do cloud balls sit, or do they rest?). I called Edgardo and asked him "What do you call cloud formations that...?" he of course, went to the Internet, looked it up and now we know.

This is called a mackerel sky because it resembles the scales on the fish of the same name. The cloud formations are extensive cirrocumulus or altocumulus clouds. This picture was taken in Camuy, PR. I think Edgardo took this one. The ones I took on that day were lost with my hard drive about two months ago. For more information onthese cloud formations you can click on the link above.

No comments: